M. Joshua Berkowitz, M.D., FACC, FSCAI, FSVM
Specialties: Cardiology, Cardiovascular Disease, Interventional Cardiology, Peripheral Vascular
Dr. Joshua Berkowitz is Board Certified in Cardiovascular Medicine, Vascular Medicine, Nuclear Cardiology, Interventional Cardiology, and Venous & Lymphatic Medicine. He completed his Fellowship in General Cardiovascular Medicine and Fellowship in Interventional Cardiology at the New York University School of Medicine. Dr. Berkowitz completed his residency and internship in Medicine at the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center after earning his Doctorate of Medicine from New York University. Dr. Berkowitz moved from New York and joined Tri-City Cardiology in 2006.
Dr. Berkowitz specializes in coronary and peripheral arterial disease diagnosis and treatment. He has expertise in the latest non-surgical, less invasive treatment options including endovascular carotid and lower extremity stenting, laser, and atherectomy. His medical interests include diabetic coronary artery disease, peripheral arterial disease (PAD) and strategies for optimal anti-coagulation in the catheterization laboratory. Dr. Berkowitz is currently chairman of the Department of Cardiology at Banner Desert Hospital.
Education / Training
Medical School – New York University Medical Center, New York, NY
Residency – Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY
Fellowship – New York University Medical Center, New York, NY
Recognition / Research / Publications
- Elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America 2013-2016.
- Press Ganey, a renowned national research firm, ranks him in the top tier in the country among physicians whose patients would likely recommend his practice to friends & family.
- Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism and Excellence in Teaching.
- Milton B. Rosenbluth Foundation Fellowship for research abroad.
- Magna Cum Laude.
- 2003: Co-investigator in several multi-center trials including: BARI 2D, ACUITY, OAT, FEN-002, APEX-AMI, STRADIVARIUS, FREEDOM, and the Dynamic Registry.
- 2002: “Screening for Asymptomatic LV Dysfunction with both Hand-held Echo and a Serum BNP assay.” Principle Investigator in prospective study to compare diagnostic efficacy of two screening methods for asymptomatic LV dysfunction.
- 1999-02: Clinical Trial – “The Effect of Glucose-Insulin-Potassium on Mortality and In Hospital Events Following Acute Myocardial Infarction.” Principal investigator in clinical trial studying the effect of glucose, insulin, and potassium (GIK) for patients presenting with acute MI. IRB #9558. Advisors: Steven Bergmann, MD PhD and Leroy Rabani, MD.
- 1998: Malaria Research Training Center – Bamako, Mali. Immunologic research investigating factors associated with the natural immunity and acquired resistance in malaria infection. Preceptor – Ruth Nussenzwieg, M.D.
- 2006: “Echocardiographic and Angiographic Correlations in Cardiogenic Shock” M. Joshua Berkowitz, Judith Hochman, Michael Picard, Timothy Sanborn, James Slater, New York University Hospital, New York, NY. American Journal of Cardiology. 98(8):1004-8, 2006 Oct 15.
- 2006: “Percutaneous PFO Closure for the Prevention of Recurrent Brain Abscess.” Matthew LaBarbera, M. Joshua Berkowitz, Alan Shah, James Slater, New York University Hospital, New York, NY. Catheterization & Cardiovascular Interventions. 68(6):957-60, 2006 Dec.
- 2005: “Use of Various Anti-coagulation strategies in the NHLBI Dynamic Registry: Patient Profiles and Complications.” M. Joshua Berkowitz, M.D., Ruchira Glaser, Robert Wilensky, Faith Selzer , Spencer King, VS Srinivas, Ehtasham Qureshi, James Slater, M.D. Scientific Sessions. APS.73.2. AHA 2005.
Dr. Berkowitz discusses his medical training and patient philosophy and how gratifying it is to diagnose and treat patients with venous disease.
Dr. Berkowitz discusses the process of evaluating venous reflux disease.
Dr. Berkowitz discusses chronic venous insufficiency, the symptoms, and minimally invasive techniques available for treatment options.
Dr. Berkowitz discusses the symptoms and advances in treatment options for venous reflux disease.
Request an Appointment
or Make an Inquiry
Please complete this form to request an appointment, or make an inquiry. We will contact you as soon as possible. Or call us today at 480-835-6100 and we will be happy to assist you.