Do These Helpful Indoor Exercises for Varicose Veins Over the WinterWinter weather might cause you to avoid going outdoors for exercise, but it’s still important to stay physically active. In fact, exercise can help if you have have varicose veins. Consider doing the following exercises in the comfort of your own Phoenix home this winter.
How Varicose Veins HappenVaricose veins occur when you have blood pooling inside your blood vessels. When blood accumulates in these veins, it causes them to swell and bulge. Varicose veins often have a rope-like appearance and can result in pain, itchiness, and other symptoms if they’re not treated. Blood is able to build up in these veins due to problems with blood vessel valves. When these valves aren’t able to fully close, blood can flow into them and accumulate.
Why Exercise Is Good for Varicose VeinsGetting physical activity can help ease varicose vein symptoms or prevent them from getting worse. These veins develop when you have problems with blood circulation. Exercising is a great way to improve blood flow, which can help relieve discomfort, swelling, and other symptoms of varicose veins. Getting regular physical activity can also help you get rid of excess weight, which is a common risk factor for these vein problems. Keep in mind that being physically active won’t necessarily help you eliminate these veins or stop them from occurring in the first place. These veins can develop due to a number of risk factors, such as a family history of varicose veins.
Exercises You Can Do Indoors During These Colder MonthsWhat kinds of indoor exercises can you do when it’s cold out? When you don’t want to leave your home to work out, there are plenty of ways to stay physically active at home. These are some of the exercises you can do indoors this winter:
- Walking: Walking around the house is a good way to stay fit and improve blood circulation.
- Calf stretches: To do these, stand straight with your legs together, then push yourself up on your toes. Lower your heels back down to the floor.
- Bicycle leg stretches: To do these, lie on the floor, then raise your legs and move them in the air as though you’re riding a bike.
- Leg lifts: To do these, lie on one side while lifting the leg on top in the air slowly. Bring it back down, then switch to the other side.
- Ellipticals and exercise bikes: These kinds of exercises promote healthy blood flow in your legs.
Treatment Options for Varicose Veins at Tri-City VeinIf you need help for varicose veins, please contact Tri-City Vein Center to meet our vein physicians in Phoenix, Arizona. Whether you have discomfort and other symptoms or just want to minimize the appearance of unsightly veins, we can help. We provide many vein treatment options to help ease vein problems....
Request an Appointment
or Make an Inquiry
Please complete this form to request an appointment, or make an inquiry. We will contact you as soon as possible. Or call us today at 480-835-6100 and we will be happy to assist you.